Principal’s Message, Term 3, Week 6
We are now over halfway through the term and I must say this year is going by fast! I just want to say thank you again for your ongoing support during Level 2. The children are following the procedures really well, making sure their hands are clean, and thank you for keeping your child home when they have been unwell.
Out of Zone Enrolments
The board would like an expression of interest from families who would like to enroll their children in Year 1 in the 2021 school year. Please note this is for both out-of-zone and in-zone students. We are currently working through the structure and organisation of our school for 2021 and this information is very useful for predicting staff and class numbers. If you know of someone; a friend, family member, neighbour or anyone else who may be interested please have them email the school office email@example.com by Monday 7th September 2020 with the following information; Name of child/children, Child’s date of birth, Parent/Caregiver name, Phone number (home/mob), Home address
Come and join us to review the school direction on Wednesday 2nd September at 6pm in the school hall. What is a school charter? Find out more by viewing our school charter at http://www.fairfieldlevin.school.nz/school-charter/
Cyber Safety Meeting with John Parsons
John Parsons will be speaking to us about cyber safety and how we can make sure our children are keeping safe on the internet. Mark your calendar for this date, you wont want to miss this, Monday 7th September at 6pm in the school hall.
John works with education, health and private sectors, providing specialist advice and direction on the safe and ethical use of Digital Communication Technology. He is a published author of “Keeping Your Children Safe Online” and a social commentator who works throughout New Zealand and Internationally.
Below is a video clip with more information; www.s2e.co.nz
Our school policies are available to review online at https://www.schooldocs.co.nz
Covid-19 Level 2 status
As mentioned previously last week, school remains open for instruction at Level 2 with the following procedures in place;
Student and staff health and well being are at the forefront of our plans. At Fairfield School we are managing health and safety risks and the protection of our staff, children and community. Our practices which meet public health requirements will include controls such as:-
- Students are not permitted to enter the school grounds before 8.30a.m. This is to avoid large groups of children congregating unsupervised, in a common area.
- We ask parents to drop their child off at the gate where possible. Physical distancing of 2 metres is recommended for parents and caregivers.
- If parents need to be on school grounds (under level 2 health and safety guidelines and contact tracing) they will need to sign-in and also sign-out, recording names and contact details. The sign-in/sign-out form will be at the MacArthur and Fairfield Road entrances. As per normal practice, if you are signing a child out during school hours, this must be done using the electronic system at the office.
- Staggered entry will occur as we ask Years 1-4 students to enter school via Fairfield Road entrance and Years 5-8 students to enter via MacArthur Street entrance (siblings of juniors may enter together via Fairfield Road entrance). Students in Years 1-4 will be met at the gate by their teacher and at the end of the day students in Years 1-4 will be taken by their teacher to the Fairfield Road entrance to meet parents or they will walk home if this is usual practice. Students in Years 1-4 who arrive after 8.40 will be met by a staff member, who will escort them to class. The usual procedure for students arriving late to school must be signed in at the office. We do encourage punctuality to assist in the safe return to school for all students.
- Rainy day pick- up. If it is raining, Year 1 parents text message your classroom teacher when you are at the school gate. The teacher will then release your child. All other parents, the students will be walked through classes 1-4 to keep them out of the rain and then released to the parents.
- Water fountains will be closed off – please remind your child to bring a water bottle to school each day. Water bottles should be named.
- Maintaining physical distancing so that children are not breathing on or touching each other.
- Good hygiene practices with regular cleaning of commonly touched surfaces.
- All surfaces will be disinfected and cleaned daily.
- Hand sanitiser at entry to class rooms.
- Reminding students to regularly wash and dry their hands, cough and sneeze into their elbow, and try to avoid touching their face.
- Contact tracing registers will be set up to identify adults on site.
- Parents are asked to keep sick children at home. Parents will be asked to take their child home, if their child is presenting as unwell.
- There will be separate areas of the school designated for Years 1-4 and Years 5-8 at break times.
- Classroom temperatures will be kept at a minimum of 18 degrees.
- The children will be allowed to play with the sports equipment which will be allocated to each classroom.
- Upon arrival at school, students will be asked to remain in their classroom and not play outside, prior to school starting.
- For the moment, we will not have assemblies and classes will remain working within their own classroom environment.
Below is a link to a YouTube video which is designed to teach children to wash their hands. Great to share and inform our children about safe hygiene practice. https://safeYouTube.net/w/QgtE
School Upcoming Events
|27th||Fairfield Community Group Meeting, 7pm staffroom|
|2nd||School Meeting to review School Charter, School Hall 6pm|
|7th||Cyber Safety Meeting with John Parsons, School Hall 6pm|
|24th||School Disco’s – to be confirmed|
|25th||Last day of term – Friday 25th September 2:50pm|
2020 School Term Dates
|Term 1||Monday 3rd February 8:50am||Thursday 9th April 2:50pm||96 half days|
|Term 2||Tuesday 28th April 8:50am||Friday 3rd July 2:50pm||96 half days|
|Term 3||Monday 20th July 8:50am||Friday 25th September 2:50pm||100 half days|
|Term 4||Monday 12th October 8:50am||Tuesday 15th December||92 half days|
Alasdair Maclean, Principal