Level 2 Update
12th August 2020
Kia ora koutou,
Student and staff health and wellbeing are at the forefront of our plans. At Fairfield School we are managing health and safety risks and the protection of our staff, children and community. Our practices which meet public health requirements will include controls such as:-
- Students are not permitted to enter the school grounds before 8.30a.m. This is to avoid large groups of children congregating unsupervised, in a common area.
- We ask parents to drop their child off at the gate where possible. Physical distancing of 2 metres is recommended for parents and caregivers.
- If parents need to be on school grounds (under level 2 health and safety guidelines and contact tracing) they will need to sign-in and also sign-out, recording names and contact details. The sign-in/sign-out form will be at the MacArthur and Fairfield Road entrances. As per normal practice, if you are signing a child out during school hours, this must be done using the electronic system at the office.
- Staggered entry will occur as we ask Years 1-4 students to enter school via Fairfield Road entrance and Years 5-8 students to enter via MacArthur Street entrance (siblings of juniors may enter together via Fairfield Road entrance). Students in Years 1-4 will be met at the gate by their teacher and at the end of the day students in Years 1-4 will be taken by their teacher to the Fairfield Road entrance to meet parents or they will walk home if this is usual practice. Students in Years 1-4 who arrive after 8.40 will be met by a staff member, who will escort them to class. The usual procedure for students arriving late to school must be signed in at the office. We do encourage punctuality to assist in the safe return to school for all students.
- Rainy day pick- up. If it is raining, Year 1 parents text message your classroom teacher when you are at the school gate. The teacher will then release your child. All other parents, the students will be walked through classes 1-4 to keep them out of the rain and then released to the parents.
- Water fountains will be closed off – please remind your child to bring a water bottle to school each day. Water bottles should be named.
- Maintaining physical distancing so that children are not breathing on or touching each other.
- Good hygiene practices with regular cleaning of commonly touched surfaces.
- All surfaces will be disinfected and cleaned daily.
- Hand sanitiser at entry to class rooms.
- Reminding students to regularly wash and dry their hands, cough and sneeze into their elbow, and try to avoid touching their face.
- Contact tracing registers will be set up to identify adults on site.
- Parents are asked to keep sick children at home. Parents will be asked to take their child home, if their child is presenting as unwell.
- There will be separate areas of the school designated for Years 1-4 and Years 5-8 at break times.
- Classroom temperatures will be kept at a minimum of 18 degrees.
- The children will be allowed to play with the sports equipment which will be allocated to each classroom.
- Upon arrival at school, students will be asked to remain in their classroom and not play outside, prior to school starting.
- For the moment, we will not have assemblies and classes will remain working within their own classroom environment.
Below is a link to a YouTube video which is designed to teach children to wash their hands. Great to share and inform our children about safe hygiene practice.
Alasdair Maclean (Principal)